Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Routines and Habits...

So I’m finding that even though my dad is gone, we are falling back into our routines and habits. One big thing missing is him. It’s strange how a day can be going along so nicely, you can be feeling great and then all of a sudden, something you always said or did comes along and it just smacks you in the face. For example:

Last night, right before bed, I was talking to mom on the phone. Just chatting about this and that and closing down another day. As we were getting off the phone, saying our “I love you’s” and such she said something to me that she has a hundred times:

“Say Hi to Jake”

And my typical response would be

“Tell dad I love him”

When I started to open my mouth to utter the words I have so many times before, I couldn’t speak. She said “goodnight” and hung up the phone. It hit me so hard…I wanted her to tell my dad that I loved him…but she couldn’t.
Again, I cried. I think this will go on, and on, and things like this will hit me, but you know what? HE KNOWS! I am so thankful that I had a wonderful relationship with my dad…and HE KNOWS I LOVE HIM!!!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I never liked "smacking in the face" and I know exactly what you mean.
I keep hanging on to the memories of what we all had/have together and am thankful we don't have to work on being a family!
I love you!!

XXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOX